Friday, December 10, 2004

Neighbours explosive finale

A couple of weeks ago, Tim came on MSN after watching the season finale to The OC. "Weren't you going to bed?" I asked him.
"Oohh Matt that episode was so dramatic I just had to come on MSN and talk about it!" - He was totally overwhelmed (or so was the vibe I got from the cold chat interface).
Not having ever watched a soapie before, I didn't know what all the fuss is about. Until tonight.

Which was the much-hyped Neighbours season 2004 finale. This is my first ever season of Neighbours but it looks like I just witnessed one of the most dramatic moments ever - and it *is* overwhelming!
(Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Izzy - was on Nova Radio this morning hyping it up. She said it was the most expensive episode ever produced, and its not hard to see why!)

After the explosive events of the episode entitled "The End of an Era", and with at least 3 characters lives "at risk" over the summer break, we got a glimpse in the final shot of the face of the perpetrator, which must have sent a shiver down the spine of anyone who watched the show prior to 1993. After doing a bit of research, I discovered the man was Paul Robinson, apparantly the "bad guy" of Ramsay Street from the time the show opened in 1985 to his departure in 1993.

The episode all happened a little fast, but it really did keep you guessing (for the first time, Neighbours really wasn't predictable)... as each of the three "bad guys," ex-crim Darcy, psycho Gus and pyromaniac (the most "likely" suspect) Luka were each mentioned. While Darcy was ruled out, Gus and Luka were briefly brought under suspicion (apparently Luka had "gone missing") - but the truth was far darker.

Say what you will about Neighbours, this was A+ storylining, and a gripping cliffhanger. I for one will be tuning in eagerly in 2005.
(Marge and Lisa Simpson are watching a steamy soap opera scene)
Lisa: "Gee, is it always this good?"
Marge: "Mmm. I don't know. I just dip in and out. I'm only watching today because Randi is coming out of a coma, and she knows the phony prince's body is hidden in the boat house."
(On the TV)
Woman: "Father McGrath... I thought you were dead!"
McGrath: "I was!"

1 Comments:

At 10:48 pm, Blogger Toria/Deb said...

Sounds really good! I love when you "don't" see the obvious in the storytelling and are left eagerly anticipating the return. The show "E.R." in the States is like that. Very good show. The best Canadian show for great storytelling with unexpected twist's is DaVinci's Inquest - about a Vancouver coroner/former police office/recovering alcoholic fellow. Dramatic, great stories, literally taking real life and putting it into drama for the masses. It's a fine line between prime-time soaps and drama I think, honestly. But if it entertains you, that's what's good I think....Glad you enjoyed the finale :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home