Saturday, June 25, 2005

Defenestrated! {My new desktop}

I've finally done it! Made a rather large and semi-permanent lifestyle change. Something which many people who may have known me in the past would be outraged with, insofar as to the fact that I could be so hypocritical to have done it. However, it is done, and I am happy. Much happier than I thought I'd be. The fact is, I'm typing this from within Linux. Linux, which isn't Windows. Which is now completely installed on my machine.

Linux!

The grande open-source Microsoft-challenging beacon of nerdy goodness. I owe a lot of my early knowledge of this system to a guy called Ben, who was my on-and-off mortal enemy back in high school. He was, shall we say, a big Linux advocate. I, shall we say, was not. But, if there was one thing that did break up the constant arguing over whether the ball was in or out and whether the thing-with-a-thing was a rule or a trick*, it was the tales he would tell of the faroff land called "Linux."
*"It's not a rule, it's a trick!"
- Ben, that guy
For the uninformed, Linux (or GNU/Linux as it is correctly called) is a complete free open-source alternative to Microsoft. Not only is it a full UNIX-based operating system, but a free replacement for just about everything else, including Microsoft Office and just about any other application you could want. (Unfortunately for me: there's no .NET framework; Visual Studio .NET is about the last Microsoft product I truly need. Oh, and DirectX for games.)

Let's just say that after all these years of wondering, I've finally been inspired by the Software Engineering subject 252, which taught us all about UNIX shell scripts and makefiles and the like. It really is a cool platform to work with, especially for programming. (Which is kinda ironically unfortunate since I suspect I'll be doing most of my private-use programming with Visual Studio, in Windows!)

Unfortunately, it's known for being fiendishly difficult to set up, particularly if you wish to keep your existing Windows installation. So, with the help of Tim, Adric and Matthew "Tuxxee", I got onto what looks to be one of the best distributions, Kubuntu, (a derivative of Ubuntu which in turn is a derivative of Debian) and played with its LiveCD for a week. Then, after my last exam Wednesday, I came home and spent two days partitioning and formatting my hard drive, and installing it!

And I'm glad to say I've emerged unscathed. The only negative thing is that of course my Windows system is missing a 10GB hard drive (and for some reason Windows 98 also thinks my Linux swap drive is an actual drive and shows it in My Computer but doesn't let me open it - stupid Windows). But I'm having way more fun in Linux, and I've spent the rest of these few days configuring all that can be configured, making shell scripts and aliases, downloading new software using the mostly-brilliant package manager Synaptic, and making nice icons for things with the GIMP. I'm in nerd paradise ;)

Here's my new KDE desktop:
Kubuntu Linux - My Desktop!

So, it really is quite cool. Thanks to all the aforementioned people for your help. Woo freedom!
"Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen an angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had." (source)
- Linus Torvalds
* By the way, I've titled this post "defenestrated" on the advice of a few guys who, while they acknowledge that it actually means "to have been thrown out of a window", choose to take its literal translation as "de-Windowed". ;)

9 Comments:

At 11:16 am, Blogger Tim Cuthbertson said...

Yuck, KDE :P

Love the title though ;)

 
At 4:17 pm, Blogger Toria/Deb said...

"I'm in nerd paradise ;)" Spoken only by a true nerd ;) LOL. Love the title too. Hurray to defenestration! More power to the open source. Now, myself, I'd never have the courage to go Windows-less, let alone the technical skills. So, I admire you for taking that leap. Awesome.

As an aside, my Tim's blueprints do refer to fenenstrations. So, it's close enough for me :) ;)

 
At 8:18 pm, Blogger Ra'Phil said...

I tend to think of an OS like Linux as being for people who 'know what they are dong'. So that puts me out :P. I think of Windows, as being an OS that any Dummy can install and use - which is right up my alley :-).

Quote ", I came home and spent two days partitioning and formatting my hard drive, and installing it!" My eyes glazed over the moment partitioning was mentioned - I rest my case.

Have fun with your new OS.....I will stick to what I know for now :-).

 
At 11:34 pm, Blogger Eat_My_Shortz said...

"I think of Windows, as being an OS that any Dummy can install and use"
Not calling you or anyone a dummy, but yeah, nobody's saying that Linux is easier than Windows.

To be fair, the vast majority of the difficulties are not because of a difference between Linux and Windows, but simple due to the fact that you want to run TWO operating systems at once.

So, if your computer had Linux already and you wanted to install Windows, you'd run into the exact same problems the other way round. In fact, Windows is much harder to install on a Linux machine than the other way round, because Microsoft are bastards.

I've heard that Mandriva Linux is very easy to install, similar in difficulty to Windows.

Also, if you have two hard drives like I did, then "partitioning" is nothing to be afraid of, it's an automatic process in the installation.

I'm not trying to sell it here, and frankly if you don't know what you're doing you're right, it IS better to stick with Windows. But just clearing a few things up.

 
At 1:12 am, Blogger Celestial Vision said...

I am tempted to get a second hard drive just for linux.......

ergh. is it worth it tho? what would i need linux for apart from the security it provides???

Further, would Pro Tools run on it?

anyway, well done with it all

Fermee le fenestre!

 
At 9:51 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome to hear. Once I realised how geeky you were, I strongly suspected you would love Linux ;-)

Clensing Fire: Linux audio apps are steadily gaining quality (as well as features) and I will not be surprised to see a really nice Linux multitrack audio production suite released in the future :-)
Audacity has been a long-running and well recognised sound app. Keep in mind though that no one forces you to use Linux, Mac or Windows (except Microsoft of course) however and ultimately your choice depends on the functionality you need.

"So, if your computer had Linux already and you wanted to install Windows, you'd run into the exact same problems the other way round"
Impossible scenario.

 
At 9:59 pm, Blogger Eat_My_Shortz said...

"I am tempted to get a second hard drive just for linux......."
If you can put up with the nightmare, you can just partition your old drive.

"ergh. is it worth it tho? what would i need linux for apart from the security it provides???"
That's a good point. I suppose the real reason to use Linux is all the free stuff you can get for it.
Rather than buying Office, get OpenOffice for free.
Rather than buying whatever audio system you might like, use Audacity as tuxxee pointed out.
Rather than buying PhotoShop, get GIMP.

They are all free alternatives, probably not as good but free.
However, although they are designed for Linux/Unix, note that many free apps, inclduing all the aboves, are also available for Windows.

So, why do I use Linux? Hmm... I guess most of the programs here are available for windows. A good reason for me is it gives me the same environment I use at uni for programming - and its a superior environment there.

Also, for power users it gives me a lot more control. I can log in as root then customize all the scripts and setting files to my hearts content. And it gives you choices. Don't like your window environment? Get another! (There are many - two main ones are Gnome and KDE, the one displayed above is KDE).

But if you are happy with Windows, there's no real point in changing unless you're curious.

If you are, I'll give you a hand.

"Further, would Pro Tools run on it?"
I don't know what Pro Tools is. It depends on if they made a Linux version. You can't run any windows apps on Linux natively. There is a system called WINE which lets you run a lot of Windows programs but I've had a look at its setup instructions and it looks more complicated than Linux itself!

 
At 10:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I suppose the real reason to use Linux is all the free stuff you can get for it."

Yeah, I've heard that Windows combined with "good" P2P software can yield the same result :-)

I personally like Linux not simply because it is free/inexpensively available but its history and philosophy - which is the driving factor for the former aspects.

http://www.gnu.org/gnu/thegnuproject.html

 
At 1:45 am, Blogger Sorceror said...

http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page Open-source .NET implementation ... just saying :)

-- Ben, that guy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home