Thursday, April 28, 2005

Sunny side up

</rant>
RANT OVER ("IT'S OVER!")

Yesterday I went completely crazy with this huge rant! Luckily, the planets have since moved out of their sinister alignment and all is fine in the world of Matt.
(Sorry to all folks out there still in the dumps... seemed like a pretty crummy day for everyone!)

Well firstly, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is being released TODAY (April 28) in Australia and UK, and tomorrow in Canada and US. In fact, the first screening started at the same time as I started this blogpost. I am all booked up for the session at 7:30 today... after I sleep.
:D:D:D:D:D

But, unfortunately, I downed myself even further this morning by re-reading this review. Hated hated hated it. This guy also is very much a die-hard frood, so its very worrying.

But tonight luckily I kept the TV on after the Glass House because I saw "At the movies" with Margaret and David. The Guide was on there, and it looks FANTASTIC. I managed to see a number of extra clips of the film not seen in trailers, etc, much longer clips. And they are as funny as hell. A LOT of new content not found in the books. But as we've been reading, Douglas Adams wrote a lot of it himself before his tragic death.

Marge and Dave both loved the film. She gave 3.5, he gave 4 out of 5 stars. But, thankfully, neither of them said they took marks off for "not being faithful" or "not being funny" as the previous reviewer said. On the contrary, they said it was very faithful to the books. Margaret took marks off, she said, because it was "too complex"... now as a frood who really knows where his towel is, I'm not too fussed about that.

Speaking of knowing where my towel is...
RANT #3
I rang up Village today to complain about said towels (see yesterday's rant post). I'd like to thank MagooChris for his info about him getting the towel which prompted me to wonder, where is mine? So called up village. Lovely chap said he'd mail three of them to me. So should get that in the next day or so (pity, not in time for the film which kinda ruins all the fun of it, but meh).
Now the only problem is... three towels. Eleven friends. :/
Looks like its up to me. Gotta find the hoopiest froods there...
Although its probably too late for any of them to read this... I think I'll be most favourable to anyone who actually BRINGS a towel to the screening tomorrow. That seems fair... it is, naturally, a symbol of one's devotion to the Guide.

I will be bringing mine, there's no worry about that.

Also, thanks to Toria, found this interview on slashdot, which is an interview with the executive producer. A very good look at it. He refutes that first bad horrid review, stating: "Thankfully of people who have actually seen the film, whose opinions I really respect, Mike has so far been a lone voice."
Interview with exec. producer: Robbie Stamp
Very reassuring. As I've always thought, the film has been in capable hands since its original creator left us...

And if you've not seen it already, check out this essay from the man himself, in 199? before Mostly Harmless even came out!
Douglas Adams: A guide to the Guide

And check out my little tribute on CodeStar (the banner)... codestar.lidonet.net.

RANT #1
Aww my 3 hard drives back together again :DMoving right along now into Rant #1 - my hard drive which decided it didn't feel like showing up for work.
Even after installing drivers... :/
Well thanks to a very helpful Uruite, Paul, I managed to get it WORKING!!!! wootage :D. He found some more appropriate drivers with a slightly more obscure name :/. Heres a screenshot to prove it. Which has not been photoshopped *that much* heheh.

So thanks a heap Paul. Now to go and fill it up with crap again ;)

RANT #2
Replaced the mouse batteries :/ Working, but not sure for how long.

But, yay. Everything worked out. Now, looking back, these problems were all very material and meaningless. So I hope all the real problems out there get sorted too. In the meantime, I'm off to bed. Got some hitchhiking to do in the morrow ;)

So long, and thanks for all the fish!
Arthur: "We're gonna die, aren't we?"
Ford: "Yup. We're gonna die. ....
UNLESS!!! What's this? ....
*turns the handle*
Oh it's nothing. Yup, we're gonna die."
- The Hitchhiker's Guide MOVIE

"The aircar rocketed them at speeds in excess of R17 through the steel tunnels...

R is a velocity measure, defined as a reasonable speed of travel that is consistent with health, mental wellbeing, and not being more than, say, five minutes late...

R17 is not a fixed velocity, but it is clearly far too fast."
- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

2 Comments:

At 12:58 am, Blogger Toria/Deb said...

Well, yes, you have to document the good stuff, don't you? Because for all the crappy days when *nothing* seems to go right at all, then you have a good day where all the planets are realigned. I hope the good luck and good planet alignment continues. Also, hope and *pray* that you get your towels are promised. A good way to be fair....draw straws.......the short ones get them, the long ones don't? Or your idea is also cool. Enjoy that MOVIE! You lucky guy :)

 
At 3:40 pm, Blogger Ra'Phil said...

Well, if it weren't for the crappy days, you wouldn't enjoy the good ones :P. You will have to have a look at the rant on my blog - as you are a University student you may understand this rant.

My blog

Have a look :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home