Tuesday, April 12, 2005

CodeStar is live!

Now for some grood news for a change... in light of the previous post in which I did some hearty experimentation into free web site hosts, the site in question is now LIVE! And, I did choose to stick with FateBack.

So after three years of thinking about it, and three months of getting my act together, I present:
CODESTAR
Your all-purpose programming resource

codestar.lidonet.net

I hope programmers of all backgrounds, languages and interests will take a look and have a read of some of the articles. As I explain on the site, I've done this because I had so many notes to myself which I just wanted to share. So from now on, I'll be making my programming knowledge public through this space!

Any readers who wish to contribute anything can contact me through this blog or my email which I'm sure you can find somewhere (and which will probably end up on the site).

On Functional Programming:
Can I write an operating system in a Functional Language?
Yes, you can. It's actually been done twice. The fist one who did it is now locked up in a room with padded walls, the second one is still alive and kicking. Rumours has it that the latter built a C compiler in a FL and then recompiled UNIX sources. The compiler is still working on it, but hasn't given an error message yet, so there's still hope.
What is "lazy" evaluation?
Lazy evaluation is one of the most expensive evaluation strategies information scientists have ever invented.
Why is it so expensive?
Because a lazy evaluator spends almost all its time trying to find things it doesn't have to do.
- Languages Humour

4 Comments:

At 10:52 pm, Blogger Toria/Deb said...

Congrats Matt and happy birthday to the new Programming resource site! WOOT!

 
At 2:18 pm, Blogger Toria/Deb said...

Woo HOO! CodeStar is now Googled. 2nd page on the search, 2nd item for me. You're in the Google library now :)

 
At 4:38 pm, Blogger Eat_My_Shortz said...

Sure... I'd love to get some requests like this because the site is more useful if it provides people with what they want.

That said, there are a lot of beginner tutorials out there... check my links page for two good C++ tutorials.

If I were to do a beginner tutorial it would be in C and take it to the real simple stuff... how does that sound?

 
At 1:50 am, Blogger Toria/Deb said...

That's awesome that you're finding it good Greg :) Have a look at the http://myjourneytoarun.blogspot.com now :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home