Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Wow, what a rant!

We're dropping one of our three Software Engineering lecture streams next week. Sounds good, but lemme explain... for myself and a large number of my friends, if we dropped the tuesday lecture, it would mean a three-hour break. We'd all much rather drop one of the other two.

Got a chance to vote on it... cool. Democracy sounds fair. Pity the moment three of us got into the lecture theatre the votes were quickly tabulated and most of the people I knew completely missed out on a chance. So, very annoying: the tuesday lecture was chosen!

In a way, its very very whiney but in another way, justice missed out. So some of us decided to send the lecturer an email. The reason I'm telling you this is so I can pop up the first draft of the email I sent... (thankfully I made some changes before sending)
Look buddy Dear Dr. **** , if you really are a doctor,
There is no justice in the world!!! I and several of my friends arrived to the 433-252 lecture , a bloody fifteen-minute walk from the previous lecture (which is one of the bloody reasons I want to get rid of this lecture slot!) this morning to find that not only had the lecture started five minutes early, as usual, but the farce vote on which lecture stream to drop had already been counted. (Well, technically, I was there for the vote, but sshh.... all my friends missed out!) Therefore they we "missed out" on our vote and are pissed unhappy with the Tuesday decision. Plus, Tuesday is really really stupid!

In the interests of fairness, we demand would it be possible to have a re-vote on Friday at the END of the lecture, which really is a very logical time to have it, isn't it? to make sure that anyone who is on my team wants to vote is present? This would be the only way to preserve democracy for future generations.

Thanks for taking another vote (you will, won't you?) your time, which is quite obviously scarce,
; Matt/Eat_My_Shortz
Yeah... it was pretty whiney. But hey, its worth a try anyway!

So, onto our favourite soapie, Neighbours. You may remember my blog waay back in December when Neighbours' 2004 season ended dramatically with the Lassiters explosion and the arrival of Paul Robinson.

Neighbours Explosive Finale
(Once again British and I-taped-it-and-will-watch-it-eventually viewers (Tuesday's episode) should stop reading now).

That was very cool! Here's what I said back then...
After the explosive events of the episode ... we got a glimpse in the final shot of the face of the perpetrator, which must have sent a shiver down the spine of anyone who watched the show prior to 1993. After doing a bit of research, I discovered the man was Paul Robinson.
The so-called "perpetrator" turned out to be a lovely benevolent man. He arrived officially in the first episode of 2005 and immediately started splashing money around all over the place. Initially, I had theories about him burning down Lassiters so he could come in and take over. You could see that he had some hidden motives.

But as time went on, he just seemed too nice to be responsible for the death of Gus and the destruction of all these properties and livelihoods. It just didn't seem likely, and I think we all got attached to him.

Well I guess my original assumption was sadly proven right on Tuesday when the evidence was found, he was accused and confessed. Its still not out in the open, but I guess poor Paul has not much time left on the show. For what its worth, he was a really nice guy. Pity hes a murderer. :(

Now to finish with a rant... as everybody knows I'm a big wikipediholic. I recently wrote an entire article on Zork Zero. But it seems a few days ago somebody came along and deleted almost all of my text and completely rewrote the article. True, he had some new information to offer. But it was not necessary to delete my original text, and replace it with much more colloquial language. Makes me angry!

The "drastic rewrite"...

Here's a gem from the recent Melbourne Comedy Gala:
'Some authors write in third person, and some authors write in first person. I'm writing my book in fifth person. So all of my sentences start with "I heard from this guy who told somebody."'
- Demetri Martin

5 Comments:

At 10:06 pm, Blogger Tim Cuthbertson said...

Haha, that uncencored letter is much better methinks ;)

 
At 10:43 pm, Blogger Toria/Deb said...

LOL, the uncensored one is hella funny, my friend. But too bad you didn't get to vote :( That sucketh wind.

Well, keep up your head at Wikipedia. Look at all the good work you've done so far. there are some ignorant people out there. They can't all be as nice as us :P

 
At 1:23 am, Blogger Andrew said...

Oh no! teh tuesday class is teh bad. oh no, teh 3 hour break.

meh :P

i prefer 3 hour break and 5 hour day to 2 hour break and 6 hour day.

hehe.. so much effort, letters... dear me. but whatever, i'll vote for another day if you guys prefer, quite frankly my dears, i don't give a damn except for the aforementioned reason, and cos the tuesday lecture theatre is sucky. hmm... maybe i'll stick with tuesday (mel won't be happy... but she probably won't be reading this. matt on the other hand..)

 
At 3:27 pm, Blogger Eat_My_Shortz said...

Lol... I can get Mel to read it!

Anyway...
VICTORY FOR DEMOCRACY

After a confusing email back from the lecturer, (proclaiming that he wouldn't bother), he, to our surprise, took the revote today. Tuesday won again :P

But we were happy, because justice was served. Good on him. (Well some people still weren't happy. I thereby open the floor for more whining on this blogpost...)

 
At 9:13 am, Blogger Toria/Deb said...

Well, the saying does go "You can make some of the people happy some of the time but never all of the people all of the time". As long as the majority got their way and it was democratic. C'est la vie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home