Tuesday, March 15, 2005

All good things...

Warning: This post contanis many wikilinks. Not a lot of spoilers though, but a few hints. Umm... non-Australian Neigbours fans or those who taped tonight's episode to watch later may want to stay away.

Today we saw an ad for The Simpsons which stated the episode to be screened was "so, so new, it had just arrived." I'm not sure in which dialects the word "new" means "recently transported", but the episode itself, GABF02 - "Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass", screened in the US on the 6th of February, according to the official site. Nice one, Ten.
(Sorry, I've been using Wikipedia so much I've started Wikilinking everything.)

Now, to whine about that episode.
OH MY GOD!!! Don't you HATE it when someone has a great running gag for, what is it, sixteen years, then go and spoil it!?!?!
They already *almost* gave away the location of Springfield last year.
Here's what our dear, and heretofore unnamed Comic Book Guy said tonight:
"My name is Jeff Albertson, but everyone calls me Comic Book Guy"
JEFF ALBERTSON?!!
He can't have a name! He is Comic Book Guy!
Here's the (sadly renamed) Wiki article section:
Jeff Albertson (Comic Book Guy)

Now I know I'm not the first to whine about this. Check out this quote from that Wikipedia article (later removed):
This, of course, resulted in a bunch of people with nothing else better to do to race onto the Internet and post it on every page having to do with The Simpsons like a bunch of crazy monkeys. Now, people who have not seen this episode will be confused out of their minds whenever somebody refers to Jeff Albertson.
Well this is my page and I can rant all the hell I want.

To paraphrase: "Tonight's Simpsons was, without a doubt, the worst episode ever. Rest assured I was on the Internet within minutes registering my disgust throughout the world."

Pfft... also shocking was when Zork: The Undiscovered Underground ruined the long-running gag of the Grue, which is only ever seen in the dark and thus has no appearance (until that game, in which it was described).

And another thing presumably coming to an end this week is the long and much-loved presence of Dr. Karl Kennedy on the Australian soap, Neighbours, played by Alan Fletcher since 1994. Although we've been expecting it all week (a very poor job was done of keeping this under wraps), it still came as a shock to see him suffer a heart attack on a country road in the closing minute of tonight's episode. Tomorrow, we find out if he lives or dies. Or just click the above two links to see spoilers ;). (Bottom of Neighbours page). Although - I've heard so many spoilers about this now I have no idea what's going to happen. Thx Mish :P

Damnit, I've become a soap-hanger-on! (eep) (eep)

Man, Wikipedia has ruined SO many things for me this week. Umm... don't go to the Darth Vader page if you don't want to ruin Ep3. This one. Tempting, isn't it? And I'm not just talking about who his son is!

Well, here's to remembering the good times:
(Sorry, I have nothing on Karl. I was referring to the Simpsons.)
Edna Krabapple: "Mrs. K: So, is there a Mrs. Comic Book Guy?"
*ahem* Comic Book Guy: "Well, I was married once, in an online fantasy game. We were thinking of having children, but that would have severely drained my power crystals."

5 Comments:

At 12:14 am, Blogger Toria/Deb said...

Ah well, Simpson's may have just done that to get people to complain? Don't know. It's a great show, even if a running gag is now ruined :( I actually saw that show the night of Feb. 6th. Didn't realize the significance of it however. Oh well, still a neophyte Simpson's fan.


Yes, it is sad when a popular character leaves suddenly off a show. But that's drama for you. Got to have some pathos in there to cut the sickly sweet stuff. The saddest memory I have of a favourite character? "Mac" on "Another World", a former soap opera, died of a sudden heart attack. The real life actor, who'd been "Mac" for 25 yrs. dropped dead while taping a show one day. So, that's how they wrote in his death. It was so sad because you knew the actors were all crying in real life too and you were too. Damn that was sad. But "As the Wheel Turns" is the story of life. (no, not a soap opera, just my term for the Wheel of Life)

 
At 2:59 pm, Blogger Eat_My_Shortz said...

That is so cruel! The guy dies of a heart attack whilst being filmed so they decide to put that footage in and use it to write him out?

OMG that means they showed a real person's death on a soap opera. Something's just wrong about that.

I assume Alan Fletcher didn't suffer the same fate! Well it will be interesting / sad tonight to find out what happens.

 
At 4:25 pm, Blogger Toria/Deb said...

Actually, you didn't see the person die in that episode. They wrote it into the script that while doing a business meeting off camera, he'd died suddenly. So, all you saw was his fictional wife picking up the phone and being told some news that we didn't know and seeing her face blanch and the phone drop from her fingers. Then her daughter came over and said "What is it Mum?" and she blurts out that "Mac" is dead etc. The emotional impact of that scene is with me until this day. Very moving too. Then the entire "community" finds out the news. "Mac" was a much loved and very central figure with ties to almost every character. So, the long term after shocks continued for a few weeks as I recall.

Yes, to actually put onto film the man's death would be sick beyond words! I hope your actor's death is just a "soap" death LOL. Amazing how on a "soap opera" people can return from the dead ;)

 
At 4:52 pm, Blogger Toria/Deb said...

Um, made a mistake :P Shoulda read Wikipedia first. Douglass Watson "Mac" died on holiday actually.

 
At 7:12 pm, Blogger Eat_My_Shortz said...

>I hope your actor's death is just a "soap" death LOL.
It wasn't

WOOT
He survived :D
(For now)

I find it very wierd that the official site Neighbours - Wednesday states that he dies. That was the spoiler they posted on Wiki.
Well since he didn't actually die I've changed that last comment on Wikipedia.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home