Thursday, February 17, 2005

The Question to the Ultimate Answer

What? I don't know what it is!

But I am (like I'm sure many nerds around the galaxy are) getting very excited about the upcoming movie The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy due to the launch of the official trailer today on Amazon.com.
(Thanks to Toria for pointing this out)

It's a must see... some time in the past hour it changed from Flash to WMV format which is a relief because, well, encoding a movie in flash is generally a bad idea.
Here it is.
I'm not even going to bother with a low-bandwidth link, the hi-bandwidth is teensy enough.

Watch the trailer before reading on...

But it looks fantastic. Looks like Zaphod does after all have two heads (in a somewhat limited capacity.) Some interesting points though:

  • We knew Ford was American. I didn't realise Zaphod and Trillian were also American. The only bloomin' person who's British is Arthur, innit, innit? Well, Ford and Zaphod I can understand. They're aliens. But Trillian is from London. Oh well they do look like good actors, and they look a lot of fun.
  • Gah stupid trailers, always have to have American voice-overs dont they?
  • For all the showcasing of the phrase "DON'T PANIC", if you pause on the shot where the Guide is opened, it doesn't seem to actually have the writing on there. I thought the words "DON'T PANIC" were supposed to appear when the Guide is activated.
  • "It's the guide. It's got everything you need to know to survive in the universe." Umm, isn't it the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?
  • What's with the Men In Black music at the end? lol.
  • Did u catch the stars arranged in the shape of "42" in the top left corner when u see the main logo?
  • Looks like the date's been advanced from May 5 to April 29. Well thats good. I can't help but notice... May 5 was a Thursday, April 29 is a Friday. (hehh)

Yay!
Incidentally I just finished reading the fifth book last night. Despite what some people have told me, I thought the ending was quite good. It'd have to be wierd or it wouldn't be HHG.

Oh and, does anyone know how Arthur was able to communicate with all the aliens in the fifth book? He took the Babel fish out of his ear at the beginning of the fourth!

Oh and by the way: Leetness!!!!!! (At time of writing, we're 469th in Lordaeron!)

"(Arthur) had just read an entire book in which the main character had, over the course of a week, done some work in his garden, played a great deal of netball, helped mend a road, fathered a child on his wife and then unexpectedly died of thirst just before the last chapter. In exasperation Arthur had combed his way back through the book and in the end had found a passing reference to some problem with the plumbing in Chapter 2. And that was it. So the guy dies. It just happens.

"It wasn't even the climax of the book, because there wasn't one. The character died about a third of the way through the penultimate chapter of the book, and the rest of it was just more stuff about road-mending. The book just finished dead at the one hundred thousandth word, because that was how long books were on Bartledan."
- Douglas Adams: Mostly Harmless

10 Comments:

At 8:29 pm, Blogger Andrew said...

Looks kinda funky. Hope its good. I'm sure i'll get at least a few laughs...

 
At 8:32 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

omgwtf

Zaphod and Trillian were also American? Yep aliens no doubt ;)

But that makes me wonder about the "don't panic" button ...

is it don't panic we won't invade?

0_0

 
At 9:51 pm, Blogger Toria/Deb said...

It looks really good and interesting! Should be a cool movie for all to see. Thanks for pointing to me :) C'mon, let's get the #2 spot back into Aussie hands ;) hee hee hee

 
At 10:13 pm, Blogger Eat_My_Shortz said...

>But that makes me wonder about the
>don't panic" button ...

"It looked insanely complicated, and this was one of the reasons why the snug plastic cover it fitted into had the words DON'T PANIC printed on it in large friendly letters."

Which may explain why its not there, if its only on the jacket. I had a feeling it was on the book.

Heres a quote I found:
"The other kids at school nicknamed (Ford) Ix, which in the language of Betelgeuse Five translates as 'boy who is not able satisfactorily to explain what a Hrung is, nor why it should choose to collapse on Betelgeuse Seven'."

 
At 3:06 am, Blogger Toria/Deb said...

Way to go for the WC3 Leetness :) Enjoy it while it lasts ;)

 
At 3:52 am, Blogger Eat_My_Shortz said...

"Everything lasts forever."
- Homer Simpson

 
At 5:34 pm, Blogger Toria/Deb said...

Marge: Maybe you should learn something new, Homer.

Homer: Everytime I learn something new a little bit of the old stuff gets pushed out!

(the one where he's teaching the class on relationships (BAH!) and tells too much and Marge kicks him out LOL. We had a good laugh last night at that one :)

 
At 11:39 pm, Blogger Eat_My_Shortz said...

I think we have to take this quote a little further...

Homer: Like remember when I took that home wine-making course? Then I forgot how to drive!

Marge: That's because you were drunk!

 
At 12:06 am, Blogger Tim Cuthbertson said...

haha nice quote :)

I dunno that putting a movie in flash is such a bad idea though. I'm pretty sure it's just encapsulating it in the flash format (along with playback controls) as some sort of mpeg-4 deal or similar, so it's not like its all done in vectors or anything... Plus more people have flash than have WMP I'd guess.

 
At 1:37 am, Blogger Eat_My_Shortz said...

Lol, I'd like to see a trailer in vectors!

Yeah but u should have seen it Tim (did u see the flash version?) It was terribly done, sometimes it would be in Flash low quality and I dont think you could do anything about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home