Sunday, February 20, 2005

Thus spake the master programmer

Ahh, here I have stumbled upon a fine piece of literature, which every programmer should read hence. For there are those who seek to program for the benefit of the self, or for the benefit of others. There are those who are lost in the technical specifications, or such unnecessities as syntax. By the harsh confines of the schedule, and the budget. To them, I do not waste dignity.

He who is enlightened does not concern himself with such earthly matters. For I am enlightened by the Tao. I see the code before me, I let the code flow through me, and I let the code pour fourth from me. I program for no master, and I let the program show me where to go. I move from one program to another freely, for the Tao is above all of this.

Here I conquer space and time, but to the Tao, I am a humble servant. The program and I are one.
The Tao of Programming.

[I also recommend the other pages on this site, for they know their place well within the Tao.]
[On a related topic, this language knows it's order in the Ascension of all things.]

The Magician of the Ivory Tower brought his latest invention for the master programmer to examine. The magician wheeled a large black box into the master's office while the master waited in silence.

"This is an integrated, distributed, general-purpose workstation," began the magician, "ergonomically designed with a proprietary operating system, sixth generation languages, and multiple state of the art user interfaces. It took my assistants several hundred man years to construct. Is it not amazing."

The master raised his eyebrows slightly. "It is indeed amazing," he said.

"Corporate Headquarters has commanded," continued the magician, "that everyone use this workstation as a platform for new programs. Do you agree to this?"

"Certainly," replied the master, "I will have it transported to the data center immediately!" And the magician returned to his tower, well pleased.

Several days later, a novice wandered into the office of the master programmer and said, "I cannot find the listing for my new program. Do you know where it might be?"

"Yes," replied the master, "the listings are stacked on the platform in the data center."

5 Comments:

At 8:03 am, Blogger Toria/Deb said...

Ha Ha I know what you were doing ;) :P Having fun with Tao now huh? My prof. at college got me onto the Tao of Physics. yup, one of those too. www.taoofphysics.com Pretty cool site. TTYL :)

 
At 11:11 am, Blogger Eat_My_Shortz said...

One does not "have fun" with Tao.
The Tao embraces fun, yes, and laughter, certainly. But the Tao embraces all things, and should not be considered a toy for our amusement.

Btw that physics link didn't work.

 
At 11:29 am, Blogger Toria/Deb said...

Sorry, this is the right URL for the Tao of Physics book

http://www.shotokai.com/ingles/filosofia/introtao.html

As far as a website, none found. Sorry.

 
At 7:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get that master coder/magician joke... :/

 
At 10:48 pm, Blogger Eat_My_Shortz said...

"Corporate Headquarters has commanded that everyone use this workstation as a platform for new programs."
So they used it as a platform - to stack programs on top of. (Physically)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home