Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Snorlack's Treasure Gold At Last

Yes that's right. The legend really IS here at last! It is COMPLETELY COMPLETE! And I am finally at rest.

I spent a lot of my birthday finishing the last tweaks and doing some of the manual, but it was no good. I gave up at 5 AM. It seems that was a wise idea. After spending the whole day today doing the manual and strategy guide, and upgrading my SummitSetup program to install Snorlack's Treasure, I finally packaged it up and uploaded it at around 11PM tonight (The 13th). Then I spent the next hour and a half updating my Summit website with the news and extensively revising the information on there about the game. And I also just posted it to VBGamer - so hopefully there will be a link there tomorrow. And thats about it! Snorlack is finally here.

As I did all this I sat listening to the Return of the King soundtrack, especally the track "The Black Gate" which is a lovely piece. It plays in the part, you may remember, when Sam tells Frodo (about the dreaded Ring) "Then let's be rid of it! Once and for all!" which is how I've been feeling about this blasted game! The accomplishment may be looked at as a sort of "Sysiphus did finish after all!"
(Sysiphus being the Greek legend of the man who was damned to push the rock up a hill for all eternity, philosophically exploring the absurdity of doing a pointless task relentlessly!)

So I feel a great sense of relief now, since once I finish the Rul'Shath expansion, I can finally get around to the next generation of my games, and of course the 3D graphics engine I've been working on for so long. Hopefully, though, Rul'Shath exp will be a lot of fun, because rather than tweaking hundreds of little numbers as I was doing in Snorlack, I will be building a world full of people, and quests and life, as I did in the original Rul'Shath. Which is a lot of fun.

So thanks to everyone who's supported my and my game creation over these four and a half years. Feel free to download and play Snorlack HERE!
"Ahh... A new warrior has chanced upon our troubled town. The village needs your help."
- Opening line of Snorlack's Treasure

6 Comments:

At 3:07 am, Blogger Eat_My_Shortz said...

Ooh ooh an update! I applied to have my game listed as a news item on VBGamer and its up now! Woot.
www.vbgamer.com
Eric (the manager there) even posted a comment. Helpful feedback too - I will rectify that.

 
At 8:47 am, Blogger Toria/Deb said...

Well done EMS! *as she claps her hands* Good for you for sticking to it and getting it done. Now you can rest easy and then work on the next generation of games :)
Thanks for taking a real NOOB by the hand (never played a text RPG before!). So far, I've got 96497 Exp. pts and my #'s are thus: Class: Fighter, Level:6, Strength: 11, Dex: 10, Magic: 6 So got a long way to go. Man do you ever waste a lot of time with those damn mosquitoes in the forest LOL! and I HATE snakes btw :) hee hee ;)

cya soon :)

 
At 9:39 am, Blogger Toria/Deb said...

Hey, guess what, I'm going to do for you? Go here and get an idea okay? http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=400102&f=5941034&m=4941002252

Remember how your website EMS Relto got hit? Well I'm aiming for the same result for Summit Interactive. :) :D Have fun and enjoy. ;)

 
At 12:12 pm, Blogger Andrew said...

this game is cool.

i have 2 comments on the nature of play.
1 - thats a pretty small game box, but i works.

and 2, interesting how the church in this game supports magic... conventionally, don't they hate witchcraft (yes i know, a fanstasy world it is)

congrats, im enjoying it

 
At 1:15 pm, Blogger Andrew said...

Update:

Class: Mage
Level: 6
Strength: 8
Dexterity: 7
Magic: 11

Oh and, Toria, and anyone else having trouble with mosquitos... i find a fireball works like that *clicks fingers* ... finding this book system a little confusing though/

 
At 10:28 pm, Blogger Eat_My_Shortz said...

Haha I'm impressed that people are actually PLAYING this thing! HL2 got a bit boring did it AndE? Thanks Toria very much for posting the Uru forums about this! Didn't expect that. I posted a reply there.

>1 - thats a pretty small game box, but i works.
Yes it is. Is it a problem? Its actually because I started writing the game on TI-83, you may notice the game box is the same size (16x8 characters) as the TI-83 lol, and it stuck.

However the thing I find more annoying is how all the different screens (inventory, spellbook, stats, etc) are in the same box so you are constantly having to switch around. I was tempted to make a version where there are a couple of different panels on the screen, but I think it is a bit too much effort and have to move on. Sorry.

>2, interesting how the church in this game supports magic... conventionally, don't they hate witchcraft
Mmm that IS true. You know I never thought about that. Wondering where I got that from now... at the time it just seemed logical "Smithy makes weapons, Church makes spells"...

I suppose the explanation is that in this world, religion and magic are fairly seamlessly bound.
Ooh I know now! In Warcraft 1 and 2 some of the spellcasters came from the Church. However I see now that as with many fantasy games, there are 2 types of magic - priesty/healing style magic and more conjury/wizardry type magic and the former is always affiliated with the church.

>Man do you ever waste a lot of time with those damn mosquitoes in the forest.
Yeah I just realised why fireball is so much better against mozzies. Check the Strategy Guide:
>Armour Class: Special (You always have 15% chance to hit)
Thats 15% chance for sword or punch (bow = punch against mozzies). Whereas spells are unexpected, you just have the normal cast rate on Fireball.

Also a warning, I believe Fireball and several other spells stats in the Strat Guide are a bit out of date. I know Fireball costs 2 mana, not 3, and does a lot more damage (see the game description for the actual damage).

Thanks everyone for playing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home