Sunday, January 09, 2005

Anatomy flexes its muscle

Ok this is it. I've been working on this 3D character system called "Anatomy" for an extraordinarily long time now, and I've finally got some actual graphics in it!!! This is all so very exciting.

Basically, this program is just a test, it will not be used in the final Anatomy at all, but its confirmation that I'm doing the right thing here. Its been developed over the past 2 weeks amidst a whole lot of blood, sweat, tears, and mathematical transformation algorithms. (Actually the first three were just a metaphor, but I was close to tears!). In the image above, you see it in action, a skinning/skeletal animation system featuring two bones deforming vertices in space. If you can tell what its supposed to look like its doing its job, for now.

Note the way the bones bulge nicely and smoothly in the centre instead of (as in the original design) looking like 2 cylinders with latex over them. So this is very exciting. The test itself is written in C#, uses Managed Direct3D 9.0c and contains over 1800 lines of code! I'm planning to release a "cleaned up" version of the source code along with a tutorial if I get time, because I've been through an awful lot of mathematical analysis and backtracking that I wouldn't wish upon anyone!

(Psst. here are the 2 secrets:
1. V' = sum(V * Mx * Wx)
2. Pushout distance from joint = rest distance from joint

Professor Frink: "Well, it should be obvious to even the most dim-witted individual who holds an advanced degree in hyperbolic topology, that Homer Simpson has stumbled into... the third dimension!"
Lisa: "Sorry?"
Frink: "Here we see an ordinary square..."
Chief Wiggum: "Whoa, whoa, slow down, egghead."
Frink: "...but suppose we extend the square beyond the two dimensions of our universe, along the hypothetical Z axis, there."
(everyone gasps)
Frink: "This forms a three-dimensional object known as a 'cube', or a 'Frinkahedron' in honor of its discoverer."

5 Comments:

At 2:15 am, Blogger Andrew said...

may i be the first to post my congratulations in the comment box

 
At 7:45 am, Blogger Toria/Deb said...

Darn it, I WANTED to be the first! Shoot, you beat me AndE! Well, let me the "Second" to congratulate you on hard work. Wow, wow, wow. What was cool was that you saw my expression on the webcam as I saw it for the first time LOL......now how many times can you say *THAT!* And it wasn't horror, it was hand over mouth going WOW! and then you saw me laugh at the very appropriate and witty Simpson's quote. Yes, I'm gushing here: You are a very talented young man who I hope goes a long way! ((((((Matt))))))

 
At 9:58 pm, Blogger Eat_My_Shortz said...

Wow thanks guys. Well it is cool I'll give you that. Now I must bury myself away to work on the actual thing! ::eep::

 
At 12:09 am, Blogger Ra'Phil said...

Wow - well done!

I can see you going on to great things EMS!! It looks great.

 
At 7:06 am, Blogger Toria/Deb said...

Well, thanks for talking me through d/l'ing .net framework and then sending me the file. I got it working on my computer hurray! Yes, the anatomy program. I have a bone LOL. But at the same time as we got this breakthrough, my tower started to make noise. I turned it off and then rebooted and the same noise. This is not good. This computer was just cleaned in mid October at the computer shop so it's not dust likely. It's just about 1 year old. Maybe the fan has a definite life span of 1 year? I would hope not. I'm letting that computer rest today and using my other one while the children are napping. Cross fingers. Have had ENOUGH computer troubles last year. Let me know what else I can do to help you out Matt. Would be happy to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home