Saturday, September 24, 2005

Myst Day!

Let all celebrate... today (September 24th) is the twelfth anniversary of the release of our favourite game MYST. It's especially important this year, with the release of the final game in the series just four days ago.

In semi-related news, I HAVE MYST V!!!!! It is really really awesome! Wait...
it is
while (1)
{
    really
}
awesome

I got it this morning, after calling up EB and having them tell me they "didn't have it and didn't know when it was coming, please go away," they called me back an hour later to say it was in! Collector's Edition for me thanks. Nice book, not really worth 150 pages for the amount of "stuff" that's in it... but the DVD is good, a REAL DVD-Video for your TV's player, and the making-of should be awesome from what I've seen.

One thing that surprised me is how good the acting is. You wouldn't expect good acting from 3D models, but it is (they did a few special tricks to make them real). As Atrus wrote fairly oddly on the box of the original Myst, "I dare not write further without revealing too much." I suppose that means he didn't want to spoil you.

In other news, some CDs are complete bastards to get out of their cases the first time. I'm not talking about Myst V here... oh no, that is a DVD. But, my brother got one that was very stuck. And you know what you need to get it out?

Ironically enough, it's the Word/Useful Item of the Day for Saturday, September 24th is:
threezer
n. threezer
  1. Like a tweezer, but with three uniformly-distributed arms instead of two: Hand me that threezer, I need to get this damn CD out of it's case and it's not budging!

I figure it's so useful it only needs one definition. :p
By the way for anyone wondering how useful it might be, the CD case has three little plastic prongs holding the CD in place in the center. You need to squeeze them all in at the same time. It's hella useful!

6 Comments:

At 1:44 am, Blogger Toria/Deb said...

Oh Hurray! A Myst Day for all to celebrate. I love those. I'm glad for you that you got the game, obviously! Feeling a bit left out here with no game as of yet.

LOL @ the threezer. I've run into a few CD's that needed that help. The Myst IV Revelation DVD was like that as I recall.

Enjoy discovering the world of Myst again and please remember our pact - NO CHEATING unless you're so stuck you're pulling out your hair. ;)

 
At 1:50 am, Blogger Eat_My_Shortz said...

Hehe AMEN!! No cheating here. This is the final game and we're going to enjoy every last polygon. (woo... its fun to use the word 'polygon' on a Myst game ;))

 
At 1:10 pm, Blogger Ra'Phil said...

I am liking MystV so far too :-). Mine was sent 21/9/05 and I received it in the post on Friday WOOT!!.

Now back to the game :-).

 
At 9:12 am, Blogger Jonathan said...

Glad you're enjoying it! You're not the only ones who are gonna try not cheating lol.

Don't worry Toria, I'm in the same boat - the game has been delayed in New Zealand (surprise surprise) till the 30th, so I'm waiting *patiently* too :)

 
At 1:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

> By the way for anyone wondering how useful
> it might be, the CD case has three little
> plastic prongs holding the CD in place in
> the center. You need to squeeze them all
> in at the same time. It's hella useful!

Yeah ... I find a thumb works great for CD cases like that. Sorry to stall your innovation!

 
At 9:14 pm, Blogger Eat_My_Shortz said...

YAY I finished, and without cheating!!! Finally... and wow such an awesome game. See my review here:
http://www.geocities.com/emsrelto/mystvreview.html

Tuxxee: No no.. it was REALLY hard! You needed a threezer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home