Friday, December 02, 2005

New Summit Website

It's another one of my "look guys, at what I've been making for the past 3 weeks" posts. :)

My games studio, formerly known as Summit Interactive, is now known as Summit Worlds, and has a brand new website!

I've learnt a huge heap about web design with all the lovely features of CSS and XHTML, so this is pretty much the most advanced and compliant website I've made. I'd really like to thank Tim for his help - he's been answering my emails all day every day for weeks!

Here it is:
Summit Worlds Online
I've also registered a new subdomain at cjb.net - www.summitworlds.cjb.net, but I'm thinking of changing because as you can see it places a nasty ad at the top (until last week, cjb.net was also serving up annoying popups but they seem to have stopped...)

I think it looks kickass but we'll see what you think.
Also check out the Evermoork pages, since that's a totally different style.

In other news, Firefox 1.5 is out. I like some of the new features, but it doesn't look like they're any closer on the Acid2 test, and there are a couple of annoyances with the new version that weren't in the old one:
  • The default theme seems to have very few icons for menu items, etc. What happened to them? Although it's supposed to just be a "niceness" feature, I find menu items help you find what you're looking for much faster than just text.
  • On Linux (KDE) I used to have a nice theme which made it look like KDE, which is totally and completely nicer than the ugly GNOME look. I can't use that theme with 1.5 and the other themes which try to make it look like KDE all have ugly problems.
  • Also on Linux, 1.5 seems to use the ugly and clunky GNOME file open/browse dialog. 1.0 used to use the KDE file chooser which, once again is heaps nicer (it's like the Microsoft Windows one, and let's face it - that's good).
PS. GNOME really sucks. I don't know what you GNOME-advocates see in it. (Tim, I'm looking at you!)

8 Comments:

At 8:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually like the polished, unified look and feel GNOME has: the problem is many features just don't work!

And really useful features like an integrated menu editor are non-existent (AFAIK it's still at the debating "do we really need this?" clumsy GNOME beucracy/wishlist stage). The built-in FTP browser is broken (try using a @ symbol in the login name).

KDE, on the other hand, rocks and is simply lightyears ahead =)

*also looks at Tim*

 
At 10:15 pm, Blogger Tim Cuthbertson said...

New site looks great Matt, and top marks for determination with the CSS layout work :D

I can't vouch for the dev side of GNOME, not having developed anything with it. But in terms of look and feel, gnome owns KDE. KDE is full of hideous icons and widgets that look like they were made out of super-annoyingly-shiny candy. That's not a good thing> I do like the mac OSX theme which many think is similar, but OSX is subtle and nice, where KDE shoves all manney of shiny objects in your face like a cheap GUI-whore...

(apologies for the KDE rant, but you brought it on yourself ;P)

 
At 9:25 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess that officially makes me a desktop pimp.

 
At 1:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gui's are for wimps :p
terminal for the win

 
At 3:31 pm, Blogger Celestial Vision said...

ROFLACMAOWTAS!!!!!!

w0ts this KDE file-chooser business??

meh. i'm stuck on your run-of-the-mill Windows GUI. i'm trying to get it to run as minimalistic as possible

 
At 11:31 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey E _My_Shortz GREAT title New Summit Website. Thats what actually caught my eye. I was surfing blogs to try and help my customers and visitors with information on my website about ##Keyword## and paused to read but ran out of time. I will book mark it and come back to read later. This isn't really what I was looking for what I really need is information about http://www.horse-lover-gift-ideas-central.com related subjects but thank you and I shall return. I wish you well.

 
At 5:31 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey E _My_Shortz GREAT title New Summit Website. Thats what actually caught my eye. I was surfing blogs to try and help my customers and visitors with information on my website about ##Keyword## and paused to read but ran out of time. I will book mark it and come back to read later. This isn't really what I was looking for what I really need is information about http://www.horse-lover-gift-ideas-central.com related subjects but thank you and I shall return. I wish you well.

 
At 11:10 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

E _My_Shortz GREAT title New Summit Website. I am actually looking for horse breeds related information to give my customers on my website. I paused at the title and ran out of time to read, but will book mark you and come back latter to check you out some more. I am off to find some other horse breeds related blogs. Thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home